Dan and I had the opportunity to show these Germans a little bit of what it is like on Halloween in Canada.
Dan and I thought our youth leading days we over when we came to Germany but we were reminded that God's ways are not our ways and that He ultimately has a plan for us as we were asked to run a youth group in Bergen. The church in Bergen lost their pastor and was in need of some leadership for their teen (11-14 year olds) and youth(15-21 year olds)groups. Bergen is 2 and a half hours away and we will be driving there every second Friday and stay the weekend. We will lead the youth group on Friday, the teen group on Saturday and then go to church with them on Sunday. It makes for a busy weekend but we know how rewarding this ministry can be, even if not here on earth. We just can't get enough of these youth!! I guess they keep us feeling young. I will write more about the group later. Now onto the Halloween part.
So for our first Friday we did a theme of Luther vs. Halloween as the Germans celebrate Reformation on Halloween Day. Dan and I represented Halloween, dressing up as ugly dead people and Sarina and Judith (two other students from the Bible school that are leading with us) dressed up as Martin Luther's wife. We had told the kids to dress up as well but when we got there not one of them was dressed up! Like I said in the last post, Halloween is pretty much non-existent in Germany. That also made finding costumes very hard. I had to do the best I could with what we had for clothes (anything black) and I bought a pair of striped stockings. We tried to find face paint but again we were out of luck. So we used pastels and what makeup I had to look as dreadful as we did. I think we did okay and the youth thought we were crazy. What else is new?
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
A Little Canadian Halloween in Bergen, Germany
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment