Monday, October 13, 2008

First Thoughts on Fritzlar

Well, we made it to Fritzlar on Friday for the celebration of the bible school’s 60th anniversary. It was a long day especially for me Laura since it was mostly done in German. There were a few songs in English and even an English speaker, Steve Rennick, from a Church of God in Indianapolis. To wrap up the celebration there was a huge buffet with all kinds of good European food and when there is a lot of food, there are even more dishes. Since the celebration was also a bit of a fundraiser for the school, all of us students need to help clean up. There were lots of jobs that needed to be done which meant only a handful of us were left to wash the dishes. Lucky me, I was one of them. At first I was overwhelmed by the stacks and stacks of dishes and the huge buffet pans caked with baked on food but little did I know that this would be my first real opportunity to make some connections and start building some friendships. I was able to speak English to an Italian girl named Patrizia and she did a good job of responding with the best English she could even though she felt it wasn’t good enough. It is Patti’s first year here as well although she has seen the school before as her husband, Vincenzo (Enzo) is in his second year. They just got married in July.

As we walked from the celebration to the school itself, I could see why people told us that this was a quaint little town. Once you walked into the central area, the roads narrowed into historic cobblestone streets. The bible school itself is situated in the central area and it wasn’t until the next day that we got to have a better look around. It was late and we hadn’t even been able to bring out luggage into our room yet. I’ll leave that for the next entry.

No comments: