Later on today, I had the privilege of baking pizzelles (or Ostie) with my Zia Teresa using the old school method (or so I thought it was old school. She makes them like this all the time.). For most of my family and friends, you know what cookies I am talking about. They have been a staple in my life since I was still in the womb. (Alex, I wish you could have been there. You would have really enjoyed this.) So normally, we make pizzelles using an electric waffle-like iron where we make 2-4 cookies at a time. My grandma is a machine and uses 2 electric irons at once. But back in Italy, my zia Teresa bakes one pizzelle at a time over the flame of her gas stove using a heavy long-handled iron. It was fun for me since my grandma's "old school" iron has been used many times as the object of my show-and-tell, for demonstrations, projects and I have even used it in my teaching. It's close to my heart and I hope to whip it out and bake a few pizzelles with my grandma this way when I get back to Canada. We'll save a little on electricity and make a few more cookies. Coming to visit then
Monday, December 22, 2008
Pizzelles!!! Remember these guys???
Later on today, I had the privilege of baking pizzelles (or Ostie) with my Zia Teresa using the old school method (or so I thought it was old school. She makes them like this all the time.). For most of my family and friends, you know what cookies I am talking about. They have been a staple in my life since I was still in the womb. (Alex, I wish you could have been there. You would have really enjoyed this.) So normally, we make pizzelles using an electric waffle-like iron where we make 2-4 cookies at a time. My grandma is a machine and uses 2 electric irons at once. But back in Italy, my zia Teresa bakes one pizzelle at a time over the flame of her gas stove using a heavy long-handled iron. It was fun for me since my grandma's "old school" iron has been used many times as the object of my show-and-tell, for demonstrations, projects and I have even used it in my teaching. It's close to my heart and I hope to whip it out and bake a few pizzelles with my grandma this way when I get back to Canada. We'll save a little on electricity and make a few more cookies. Coming to visit then
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment